Page Navigation

Monday, April 19, 2010

Surviving Rookie Mistakes

Tonight I made a classic rookie cooking mistake. Ugh. Thanks to my snacking habits it wasn't a total disaster.
I love Boboli. If you have not discovered this amazing ready made pizza shell I suggest you get acquainted.

These are the typical ingredients - A package of 2 individual size crusts, shredded cheese & sauce. I grew up on jar sauce, can't help it, so I get 'fancy' and buy Ragu's pizza sauce.
It's a great easy & interactive dinner. Typically Husband is home and we make together but tonight I was on my own to start out.

This is what a pizza is supposed to look like when all the elements come together. However, tonight things did not go as planned.

Midway through applying the sauce to my crust I realized I hadn't checked on the cheese. Did we have any? Was it any good? Of course it will be!!

WRONG. Half a bag of unedible cheese. Awesome. What the heck am I going to do with sauce on a crust?

*cue mission impossible music*

Enter - the string cheese! aka my saviour!

How great is string cheese - I could eat an entire block of mozzarella so the portion control here is key for me. My favorite snack. Kids love it too as do my fellow kids at heart.

2 string cheese later...ta-da! Pizza about to get cooked in the toaster oven.
I'm really happy about tonight's kitchen adventures for a few reasons
1 - I used what I had in the kitchen. Always a fan of that. Hate making special trips. OK I lie, I love to shop but not last minute on a Monday night!
2 - I thought on my feet. A "make it work" moment for the kitchen if you will.
3 - No freaking out. No tears. No burns. And no phone calls to mommy asking what to do or to Husband asking him to bring home take-out

Go me!

xo,
Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment