Page Navigation

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Take on the Double Down


By now you may have heard about the KFC Double Down no buns just bacon & cheese inside two pieces of chicken (grilled or their original recipe crispy). Ummmm ok??

I'll pass -- no surprise there.

I did however make my own version tonight - in the form of a SALAD!

I am one of "those" people who likes to eat their vegetables. I love salads and any kind of raw vegetables. I was helping my dad in the gardens he kept in the backyard from the time I could stand up long enough to not fall over into the dirt. Yes I said gardenS plural. We had one for pumpkins, squash & potatoes with sunflowers on the borders. Another had lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, and all the mint, basil, parley and fennel you could ask for, surrounded by irises. I know I'm leaving some stuff out. My dad kept a great garden and I know he misses it. Florida soil just isn't as friendly as NY soil was.

That said, it kinda pains me to admit this lettuce is from a bagged salad kit. It's just not the same!
I really need to get to the Greenmarket soon!

I added bacon flavored bits (la-la-la not listening when you remind me how unhealthy they are!!) and some lite dressing. YUM

The chicken fingers - they were so good tonight! Here's what I did to the chicken:

warm grill pan & drizzle with olive oil
squeeze juice of half a lemon over chicken
and sprinkle on salt & pepper
cook chicken lemony side down
squeeze other half of lemon over chicken as it cooks

Can you tell I like lemon??
I never remember to marinate chicken over-night but this is the next best thing.


Some folks from Invisible Children DID go try the Double Down & made a video about the...experience. Check it out here, funny stuff. If you skip eating out this week and cook your own meal, consider donating the money you've saved to IC - they are doing great work in Africa!



xo,
Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment