Page Navigation

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Not my mama's pasta night


I grew up on jar sauce. Ragu, Prego, you name we, we ate it. Usually on Wednesdays. With really good store brand italian bread. And a salad with good also store bought dressing. Most of my friends growing up were from big Italian families and I always pigged out on the pasta when I was over for dinner, not realizing it was the 1st course, not the main dish. Oooops.

Over Spring Break, I found this fun looking pasta at Target, made by Giada!
and on the back, a recipe for her simple bolognese. Hmm sounds so good - chopped meat, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, basil...Let's do this!!!!

Ok, guess not everyone loves Giada. But I do. So deal.
So as not to run into another pizza problem from earlier in the week, I laid out ALL the ingredients before I started chopping & cutting & sauteing & ....yeah. No more rookie mistakes!
Ah Basil. I have a love hate relationship with Basil. It's so good but treats me so bad. When I cook with it I have to be very very careful. I touch my face or neck accidently and wham - self-diagnosed allergic reaction. So I was really really careful during the prep work.
There's a lot of chopping to be done, made easier with my mini pink food chopper.
Lots of chops & 20 minutes later everything was in the saucepan, making the apt smell amaaaazing. I got full just breathing it all in.
Fast forward to last few steps...I feel like I'm doing a TV food segment and thru the magic of TV the meal is finished!

So pretty. I love to use a 'fancy' looking noodle. It just makes the meal, well fancier!
(still rocking the gunmetal nail polish...loving it, I must say)
Sauced all mixed in and ready to eat.

Verdict - total hit. Had for left overs today. Realized I forgot to put any cheese in the sauce at all. Woops. I would, however, add some extra spices. It was a little on the eh side in the spice dept. Jar sauce must have left quite an impression on me :)


xo,
Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment