Page Navigation

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What's for Dinner? Chili-Rubbed Skirt Steak


I cannot say enough good things about the cookbook, Everyday Food's Great Food Fast 
every recipe has a great photograph!! which I love. Why would I want to make something I've never seen before? And the recipes are organized by season. Cool and light recipes for summer, hearty dishes for fall and winter. I know it's time for Spring but this is one last winter recipe on a rainy first day of April.

I will admit I was a little concerned with this recipe. I'm not 100% comfortable with red meat, especially when I don't have a regular oven to broil in. Yes this meal was cooked in my convection toaster oven - hurray no injuries or undercooked food!

Chili-Rubbed Skirt Steak from Every Day Food's Great Food Fast
~2teaspoons chili powder                          ~1teaspoon ground coriander
~1teaspoon light brown sugar                   ~1/2teaspoon dried oregano
~coarse salt and fresh ground pepper     ~1 1/2teaspoons olive oil
~1 and 3/4 to 1 and 1/2 lbs beef skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces


I warmed up my oven & pan. Meanwhile, combine spices, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Coat steaks evenly on both sides with Olive Oil. Then coat with spice mixture, patting to make it stick. 

I transfered the steaks to the pan, added a little extra olive oil, and set them to broil for about 15minutes. The recipe says 8-10 but my oven & tastes needed the meat a little more well done. 

I sided my steak with a yummy mixed field green salad, with tomato and cucumbers, vinaigrette dressing. Would also be great with a creamy dressing to offset the spice from the rub, as is suggested in the book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment