Page Navigation

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

North Fork Wines - Laurel Lake

Laurel, New York

could have sat here all day - so peaceful



Over the 4th of July weekend last summer I planned a trip out to the North Fork of Long Island. We stayed at a fab B&B, Quintessentials - where the breakfast every morning was worth the price alone! Not to mention a super sweet innkeeper. 

One of the activities I planned was a wine tour with Vintage Tours. We had a fabulous day with a large van full of other winos, visiting some really great vineyards & wineries. Jo-Ann, our tour guide extraordinaire was so sweet. Knowledgeable about the North Fork in general along with her wealth of info about wines. Laurel Lake was our first stop of the day. We got a great tour by the winemaker and tasted some really great wines!

One of the many bottles we bought at Laurel Lake was a 2006 Riesling. I can't remember if I tasted it but I'm assuming so. If not, the BEAUTIFUL blue bottle would have drawn me in. I'm a sucker for blue glass. Anyway, the bottle has sat in our fridge since then. We had about a 9 bottles that we purchased that day from different wineries and for some reason I saved Laurel Lake. Last night I opened it and figured out why I save it - AAAAAMAAAAZING. Refreshing with just enough sweetness for me.  They describe it like this: "This flowery, aromatic wine blends soft acidity with sweetness, all of which adds to its sipping pleasure." At $15.99 it's worth every penny, in my humble opinion. 

The always faithful source, Wikipedia (hi sarcasm) reminds me that Riesling is grape with German origins, best tasted when young for their fruity, honey aromatic flavors, and is a versatile wine to pair with food. Here are some other links with info about Riesling; 

For more info about my beloved homeland's wine - visit LIWines.com

1 comment:

  1. I love Vintage Tours! I've recommended Jo-Ann to so many people. She really loves Long Island, and it shows in the tours. Did she take you to the fruit stand?

    ReplyDelete