Page Navigation

Monday, January 21, 2008

What exactly is a Lingonberry?

aka: Swedish Pancakes

We were in the West Side Market last week and I saw lingonberries on the shelf in the jam section. Oh yumma. I knew what I had to make: Swedish Pancakes!

This recipe is from, of all places, the cookbook for Kirsten one of the American Girls. I never had a doll. My sisters did. My friends did. No I'm not bitter. LOL. I went to the opening day of the store here in NYC - so there!

Moving on to the cooking. My grandpa loved his Swedish heritage and really loved this pancake recipe. They are very thin & cook quickly. This is not a recipe you can make and multi task with, at least I couldn't. They are really thin, just like a French Crepe. But instead of the sweet fillings, I leave them flat and top with a scoop of the tart Lingonberries and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. 

My sister emailed me the recipe since the book is at home. So here it is (along with her comical comments...)

Swedish Pancakes
6T Butter - 3 Eggs - 2C Milk - 1C Flour - 1/4 tsp Salt - 1tsp Cinnamon - 1Tbl oil 
Jam & Powered sugar (never just optional)
(about 6 servings)
1. Melt butter in the skillet. Turn off the heat
2. Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl. Use the wire whisk to beat the eggs together...while singing the 'shake it' part of Outkast's Hey Ya
3. Add the 1/2 cup of the milk to the eggs and use the wire whisk to beat the mixture for 2 minutes. 
4. Add the flour to the egg mixture all at once, using a wooden spoon to beat the mixture until it is smooth. 
5. Beat in the remaining the 1 1/2 C of milk. Then add the melted butter, salt & cinnamon. 
6. Add the oil to the skillet. Ask an adult to help heat up the skillet until it is very hot (not 'ice cold' like Outkast)
7. Drop about a tablespoon of the thin batter into the skillet for each pancake. 
8. After about 1. minute, the edges of the pancake will brown lightly. Have an adult help you turn the pancakes. Cook the other side for about another minute.  (this is probably a good time to think about all those ancestors of your who came to America from the homelands...)
9. Plate and top with Jam & a sprinkle of Powdered Sugar. 



Pics here on Flickr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment