Page Navigation

Monday, September 21, 2009

Last Day of Summer

If you are like me, you wish you could wear flip-flops year round, but you love the place where you live waaaay toooo much to move somewhere more tropical. I'm so sad today is the last full day of summer. Sad. Sad Sad. BUT in CELEBRATION of such a fabulous summer, here is a post dedicated to my fabulous NYC and a place to experience summer food all year round -

New Yorkers...we've got tired feet. We do a lot of standing. Standing on a crowded rush-hour subway. Standing in line at TKTS for discounted same-day Broadway tickets, standing online for the ladies room at Penn Station (has the renovation at the LIRR level really done anything to help the line???). Standing on the street waiting to enter a Sample Sale. And finally...standing for food. Soup. Cupcakes and even....hot dogs.
Yes Hot Dogs. Yes Upper West Side.

Shake Shack started in Madison Square Park in NYC. It's a fun looking kiosk and there are tables and chair set up in the park for you to sit and eat at. They sell amazing hot dogs, hamburgers, fries & custard desserts. The line at the park location can get so long they have a web cam "the shack cam" so you can check the line before you start standing on it. Yes they really are THAT good! They now have 2 other locations - Upper West Side & out in Queens at Citi Field. Went to the UWS location a few times this summer for a fun Sunday night dinner.
I love the packaging - these simple green food pics remind me of neon signs. So simple.

There's the Shake Burger - mmm mmm good


And my favorite - the New York dog. Tons of mustard & kraut please.


While the UWS location has some nice indoor seating, I prefer to dine al fresco. So I head to this cute park across the street near the American Museum of Natural History.




Grab a bench, sit criss-cross apple sauce and have a little lap picnic.

So long sweet summer...but thanks to Shake Shack it's never that far away!


xo,
Michelle


6 comments:

  1. Me too! Gimme flip flops & a NY hot dog any day! We moved to Chiago recently so I have to constantly deal with asking the hot dog vendors to hold a ton of stuff. They always say "You must be from NY". LOL!! Born & raised!! Love your blog! Keep up the fun posts! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to stop by. I'm missing summer already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it. We need to have "Amanda Looks at graduate schools in the city" time next semester. Yes?.. Okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually I love fall but this year I'm mourning the loss of summer. It went by way too fast.

    The Shake Shack is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see so many ppl agree with me when I say summer went tto fast & NYC hot dogs are amazing. I think I may get Shake Shack tomorrow for lunch!

    Yes - Amanda come visit!!!

    ReplyDelete