Page Navigation

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Keeping it Real


Some days...you just want fries & a diet coke after work. You know you probably shouldn't but you do. So you get them anyway. As Wendy Williams says "It is what it is".

I have a lot of comfort foods and McDonald's is high on the list. Their food is, as I'm sure it is for many of us, tied to happy childhood memories. For health reasons of course I can't eat it every day. But when I want it, I WANT IT! Today was one of those days and it got me thinking about a time long long ago it was mommy, daddy and Michelle. Daddy worked nights :( On Thursdays, mommy took me with her while she babysat for a family on our street. She did it as a favor and never expected to get paid but the mom would give her $5 because it meant so much to her. On Fridays before kids club AWANA at church, mommy and I would go to McDonald's. Sometimes we'd meet with other families that went to AWANA with us, sometimes it was just us. Perhaps what comforts me now isn't the food (thought umm hello can we discuss how amazing those fries are?!?!) but that fun special time with mommy & I always had together. Chicken nuggets, fries and a diet coke --- I am 5 years old again :)

Do you have favorite foods from childhood? A comfort food you eat after a hard day?

xo,
Michelle


4 comments:

  1. omg only 1 million of them. I was just telling Joe tonight about how my mom would pick me up from school and if I had a hard day, we would go get an early dinner at El Chico - including lots of chips and salsa. You know El Chico from Texas right? Also I remember when I was little and my mom would take me to Taco Bell after my swimming lessons because I didn't want to go to them - the Mexican pizzas (which used to be called "Pizazz Pizzas's when they first launched - fun fact) were my favorite and always remind me of swimming lessons! Then there's of course big Sonic drinks. We would go after school for "Happy Hour" and get cheap, giant Diet Cokes. All my food memories from childhood are definitely tied to bonding time with my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My number one, all-time absolute comfort food is what we in South Africa called 'slap tjips' - literally soggy chips!
    British legacy meant that the fast food places of my childhood were fish and chips shops, and to go and get a parcel with a couple of pieces of batter dipped and deep fried hake lying atop a bed of thick cut potato chips that were liberally drenched in vinegar and salt - heaven.
    As I think of it I can feel my arteries clog with fat and my hips ballooning, but oh boy, there's nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm all those sound delicious! And great memories too :)
    We sometimes would get doritos and diet coke if she picked me up from school. We love our junk food!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I puffy hear McDonalds Diet Coke! I will drive blocks out of my wau for it when I need that special treat! YUM!

    ReplyDelete