Page Navigation

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010



The NY Times has a great little slide show where people talk about the food they associate with their mother.

I can't talk about my mom and not mention food. She cooked because her mother did.
I got to stand on a chair turned around backwards so I could watch and see everything she did in the kitchen.

So what food do I associate with my mother?

Cake.

When I was young my mom took the Wilton cake classes with a friend. She made some beautiful creations! The book with the great recipes for cake & frosting are still in with the kit we take out at birthdays. She learned how to make roses, clowns and the basket weaves. And luckily for us girls she made...the doll cake.

Now a days there are fancy molds to make this an easier task but mom did it old school like in the video.

Every year I got to choose the color of my doll cake. Shades of pink, purple or yellow. It was so awesome. I was and still am a huge girly girl so having a birthday cake of a doll in a big frilly dress fit me to a T. I always wanted my doll cake to be a bride. "No" mom would say "you have to wait till YOU are a bride. You are little girl still. But someday..."

August 2007, my bridal shower

So mom, this Mother's Day thanks for those slices of cake. The best things DO come to those who wait.


xo,
Michelle

1 comment: