Page Navigation

Monday, June 16, 2008

It's the cheesiest...


Had a great Italian meal Saturday night with great conversation, laughs, food & wine.  Accademia Di Vino, my review is up on Yelp already. While we did not get a cheese plate to share, it's one of my favorite things (along with Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, Fonteluna, Abruzzi 2005..a delicious red, even I liked!). I love to be the one in charge of ordering the cheeses to share and thankfully dear husband, in true Libra fashion, doesn't mind one bit that I make these types of decisions. 

Urban Whisk's Picks for a Yummy Cheese Plate
  • Jarlsberg - how can you go wrong with the Swiss?? Cow's milk at it's best (besides ice cream of course) Jarlsberg has a thick dark yellow rind and a light yellow interior. It has a very mild flavor which you may want to spice up with a flavored cracker. It has holes, but they are pretty irregular. 
  • Parmigano - Reggiano - can't get more Italian than this! Made in a few areas in Italy included Parma & Reggio Emillia, this is a hard cow's milk cheese as well. Has a sharp, sort of fruity/nutty taste and a slightly gritty texture. I love it on a crusty slice of bread.
These are my two stand-bys. Something basic in taste, the Jarlsberg & a good basic Italian cheese with the Parm - Regg. Since most cheese plates ask for 3 selections or more, I get adventerous from here on out. Ask your server for a suggestion. Try something different. There was a Vermont made cheese on the menu Saturday that bore a name very special to me, would have loved to try some! Pecorino is a good choice, as are Piave for it's full bodied flavors, or Bra Tenero for it's softer texture. In addition to the Swiss & Italian cheeses I love to try something made locally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment